New Rumble Matchmaking!

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Jun 25, 2019.

1. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

When I say 'smaller', I'm referring to both. The reward tiers, like the matchmaking, are based purely on the average scoring brackets, not PH level or guild size. Lower level scoring brackets are anchored around guilds made up of lower level PHs doing 2-3 battles a day, top brackets are based around the guilds at the top of the Rumble leaderboard who are highly competitive. Ultimately though, as with any new system, we had to see it out in the wild to determine where things would fall.

Guilds made up of a couple of active PH13s are never going to be going for the same rewards as guild of active 40+ PH13s, because the larger the guild, the harder it is to keep everyone contributing and competitive, so those running those mammoth guilds get the best rewards. It's fairly common in games - for example, in World of Warcraft the 25 man raids drop better loot than the 10 man raids, etc.

That said, the rewards tweak should go out later today, scaling them up a bit, alongside a tweak which will hopefully reduce the matchup time for some guilds.

Also, a gentle reminder to everyone to keep things civil and to remember the forum rules. Believe it or not, this change was brought in as a direct result of repeated feedback about guilds of all shapes and sizes wanting better matchups.

2. Hawkbeard

Hawkbeard First Mate

No need to call them idiots, the rewards need tweaking yes we all agree but @Lynsey [Midoki] has said this would be the case are they are looking to change it, but they are not idiots.

With that attitude and also shown by some others in the past i am surprised midoki have not packed it in by now. We wanted better closer rumbles that are more fun, and we have that now, rewards will be tweaked and improved in due time.

If people think you could build better and hold a game that is still played for around 4 years then why not go ahead...

Now only if we could stop people attacking with crazy amounts of priestesses or walking through gps like they dont exist and flattening bases like they are made out of cardboard ... lol

3. Deathblood

Deathblood Powder Monkey

I used to manage a large software development team. This shows either very poor planning or very planned attack on non paying players.

4. Deathblood

Deathblood Powder Monkey

I repeat, in what world do you think 1000 gold and grog is acceptable or usable by any player for an entire rumble? You couldn’t do a better job to get people to stop playing and rumbling.

5. Lynsey [Midoki]

A Pirate Hall 1 has a capacity of 1,500 to 6,500, and would allow them to buy a new cannon, upgrade it, buy storages, etc. At PH 2, it'd still be just shy of 10% of their storage, it'd allow them to buy an extra cannon, or to buy new mines/distilleries or upgrade existing ones, etc.

Steady now, I wouldn't go that far! ;)

Five years in September! Already five if you count soft launch in June 2014...

6. Deathblood

Deathblood Powder Monkey

I have a ph13 so 1000 is not worth the time for anything. No one in my guild is below a ph8 so your statement about 1000 be useful is grossly inaccurate.

850arrr likes this.
  7. Well...Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious so entertainers some us are, thank you @Lynsey and Master M, You have.. kept the faith. Best Regards D

8. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

Thank you for your timely response @Lynsey [Midoki]; I truly do appreciate the time and effort you put into answering our questions, concerns, etc. I am glad midoki is willing to listen to the feedback here, and implement changes to help everyone get better matches, which I have always been a proponent of. It just seems as though this change went a little too far from the get go, and again, I’m glad to see you are changing it up again to reflect the feedback given here. Now, let’s get some new LPs, or new defenses, or perhaps some new buildings! :D;) There’s a ton of great ideas floating around here on the forums for new cool content!

Cheers,

-Oak

850arrr and Hawkbeard like this.
  9. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Our current rumble has 3.5m gng and 30 gems rewards. Started earlier this morning and not sure if this a tweaked match or before that, but rewards look satisfactory to me for a guild of 14. We are mostly average or slightly above average scorers and all active. I would prob say collectively we are around 6-10k scorers each on average. We ARE matched with a guild double our size and they could potentially use their numbers to win. This doesn’t mean we throw our hands up immediately though. Let’s not forget that rumbles are a guild competition. Doesn’t mean gems are necessary to win, but sometimes if you want the rewards and it’s close, you might just have to thrown down and part with some of those winnings you got from all those easy lop-sided matches we became accustomed to.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    850arrr likes this.
  10. Air-Rine Pirate

Air-Rine Pirate Powder Monkey

I am surprised that rewards are not more closely tied to PH lvl. If someone wants to max their PH long before they keep their base in step, well then that just works itself out as they become food for bigger fish and match waaaaaay out of their league. Perhaps more closely tying rewards to PH lvl and storage (as a percentage) might alleviate this? Again someone who maxes those with the hopes of gaining rewards in a rumble will never keep it anyway. But those that have years invested in continuously upgrading their base would have a motive to rumble. A million(s) dollar prize, or even better, lots of gems, is great motivation to play and participate. And if someone is low PH in a guild that rumbles, they would only win a percentage of what they can hold. A PH3 should not win as much as a PH10, and so on, and then tie it to participation. A PH13 who sandbags shouldn't get hardly anything, but a PH3 shouldn't get its coffers maxed either.

1,700? Not rumbling anymore. Not until it is worthwhile to risk losing, let alone winning. Just makes my base all the more targeted.

11. laaafish

laaafish Crew

I don't know if this is due to the tweak in reward but we were in a guild of 22 and getting a max of 75k or a low of 10k as reward for first place. We set up a guild of 4 and the reward is 800k. Will be interesting to see what the next reward will be.

12. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Our 15 person guild of mostly active ph 13s has gotten 2-3.5m gold and grog so far. (Max gem reward 35 so far) So I’m guessing higher phs with decent averages will get you better rewards rather than having some less active, lower level accounts thrown in the mix.

13. Lynsey [Midoki]

Rewards were tweaked on Tuesday, so it's probably that.

I'm not quite sure if it's come across clearly before, but the number used to determine Rumble matchmaking is the combined average scores of all members, not the average combined score. So...

Guild A contains:

Sarah, PH 12 (Av. 4500)
    Bob, PH13 (Av. 12000)
    Greg, PH13 (Av. 11,000)
    Amelia, PH13 (Av. 13000)
    Steve, PH13 (Av. 7000)

...They'd have a matching score of 47,500.

Guild B contains:

Barry, PH 12 (Av. 4500)
    Dorris, PH13 (Av. 12000)
    Dave, PH13 (Av. 11,000)
    Anna, PH13 (Av. 13000)
    Gary, PH13 (Av. 7000)
    Al, PH 5 (Av. 450)
    Karen, PH 1 (Av. 60)
    Marty, PH 7 (Av.1000)

...They'd have a matching score of 49,010.

So kicking lower scoring members won't improve your matchmaking tier or rewards, as your matchmaking score would now be lower - unless you replace them with higher scorers.

The matchmaking score is calculated purely by the guild's current members, so if Dorris, Anna and Amelia broke off to form a three woman guild, their new guild would instantly have a matchmaking score of 38,000.

14. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Our guild was away for the last event. Our first rumble back in our home guild took place around the time of the “tweak”. All of our rumble thus far were the rewards I posted earlier. I didn’t see a significant change in rewards on our second rumble, but I’m guessing our first rumble was after the changes were made. Our guild must be in a higher tier to get better rewards than some other small guilds I’ve seen posted here.

Not sure what the difference in combined average score and average combined score is but..confusing. Lol sounds the same.

So a guild with 15 members (100k average for example) and a guild with 50 members (100k average) will get matched. 15 person guild has a better average for the amount of members they have vs the 50 person guild, but makes no difference. Maybe that’s the point I missed?

Higher average = better rewards. Having non contributing or low scorers won’t hurt, just won’t help much either. No matter what level...think I’ve got it.:)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  15. For me, I think the reasoning behind the new matching is sound.
    The issue we now have is the one of it being done on player average score, due to the fact it’s based on lifetime and that’s not always matching to what’s currently being scored. (And it takes a lifetime to change it!)
    An example is my current rumble match up. One of the players has a life time average of 7,762. However, in their last rumble they scored 45,468....quite a big difference!!!!!! So on paper it seems fair, life time averages balance etc but in reality it’s still a no hope rumble for us!
    I wonder if a solution could be found to updating this score more frequently, then the matching could be more accurate and linked to actual current activity?

16. Lynsey [Midoki]

It's not based on lifetime - the player's average is only based on their recent Rumbles!

Cap'n Flyht likes this.
  17. Becker Redbeard

Becker Redbeard First Mate

Well, I'll join the crowd of complai....constructive criticizers.
    Yet again, small guilds are punished. (I'm in the same guild as @Intimidator for full disclosure).
    Max rewards have dropped in HALF now on our 15 member guild (which scores 6-10k per person, making the TOTAL (I do understand) 100-150k.)

If we want to grow our rewards, options are:
    - Grow our guild from 15 to 30 and ultimately to 50
    - Individually start doubling our average.

New System PROS: None to us. Possible pros for Midoki, but I don't see it.
    CONS:
    - Lower rewards
    - Match double size guild because we're competitive (yes we still win).
    Eventually even if we overachieve (double our scoring) at the same size, we match impossible guilds, get second place and rewards suck again.
    I'll HAPPILY GEM on a hard fought fair fight (it's the most fun part of this game), but won't gem five times as much every day just to push our guild average higher. That calculation is dead wrong.

Yet again, Midoki is clearly pushing pushing pushing to create big guilds, for guild events, now for rumbles.
    @Lynsey [Midoki] This will backfire. Rather than encouraging individual production to increase (which is what makes you money- gemmers), you're primarily pushing bigger guilds, at the detriment to those of us who don't want to read through 64 messages from people we don't know each time we logon. Our small guild (mostly) knows where each member lives, country or even state. I know to some extent people's professions, hobbies and favorite drinks. I'm fully capable of rolling with RedFlag or dNA or Seadogs, but I don't want to. Our guild joins up with others for events, but I'd rather not see small guilds die. Rewards should have at least some influence of average PER PERSON (recent rumbles, etc. all being fine standards to avoid us slacking). You ignore the social motivations of small guilds, you will lose money. Good luck.
    #SAVETHESMALLGUILDS!!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  18. Jake the Snake

Jake the Snake Powder Monkey

Since the most recent update to rumble rewards our training guild went from 1k or 5k to 500k gng rewards, and they average 15k a rumble so its very fair i think. thank you for giving them something to fight for again!!

Im in a lot of chats, and im seeing good matchups every where i turn, guilds are matching there equals out there, and im seeing down to wire rumbles left and right, guilds big and small are fighting like never before, breaking their own records on both sides of the rumble, bcus the match is so good!!

This has to be the best system to date!!

I see no reason to risk this great matchmaking process for quicker matches. matches are still happening very quickly and being more competitive more consistently then ever!!

Please please dont let the " i want a quick match" people ruin this for us, every rumble is meaningful now and am having the most fun ever since 1vs1 was intoduced!!

In fact i dont see any need for any changes at all now with the rewards fix, at least on the top end and bottom end, i cant speak for guilds only having a few 13s and the rest of the team is lower pirate halls, im sure for the few 13s on the team it doesnt seem fair, but as time passes and people get stronger, your guild gets bigger, rewards should increase for you as well

Competitive match>quick match thank you for your time.

19. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Well I’m noticing two top rumble guilds that have been full or almost for the longest time down to 30 something odd members now. That can’t be a good sign. I’m all for an honest to goodness competitive rumble, but don’t want to spend all day online gemming every attack to win. I don’t have the time to do it every single day or wanna part with my gems that quickly. Don’t plan on buying any because I have no content to spend them on really. Still waiting for the new event....feels like ages ago someone mentioned we’d be getting it? Who knows.....

20. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

10 hours for match ups?! This is getting ridiculous :eek: especially during events!

Oak Island and 850arrr like this.