New Rumble Matchmaking!

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Jun 25, 2019.

1. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

Wait a sec, are you saying you’ve been waiting 10 hours for a match?? That’s insane. I guess that’s what happens when either everyone in your bracket is already rumbling or taking the day off? What a shame. Hope you guys get a quicker match next round.

Cheers,

-Oak

2. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

Yes, and I don’t see it getting better, in fact, it’s getting worse (granted there have been 1 or 2 exceptions). Started with 2-4 hour match times, growing to 6-8 hour match times, and now 8-10 hours.

Oak Island likes this.
  3. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Speaking events. I’m surprised no ones brought It up....while the more frequent events are very much welcomed, it seems the chest have been tweaked to drop outfits instead of much needed materials. The last few levels of most of the legends need lots of less common items but all I seem to get is loads of outfits and common materials which are coming out my wazoo lol. Where are the emeralds, sapphires, rubies and so on?.....those three items are nearly impossible to gather from sailing. So where do I get them?

4. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

Ouch! We have had our share of 2-4 hour waits but nothing past 5. I can’t imagine waiting 10! I’m all for fair matches and always have been but waiting that long is not necessary.

Yeah @Intimidator I totally ageee! And diamonds for Blackbeard too! There is 1 monster that drops them maybe 2% of the time, if you’re lucky, and that’s it. Meanwhile I’ve probably found a thousand or more squid inks! Those suckers are everywhere! I’m also glad you brought up the new event earlier. Sure would be nice to get some idea of what it might be like. Maybe we can help give some feedback before it drops and everyone freaks out haha.

Fingers crossed match times get better for y’all @MorganFlint and also to a new event coming soon!

Cheers y’all,

-Oak

850arrr, Intimidator and MorganFlint like this.
  5. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

There are for sure many different reason for that, guilds getting low on players(for a while?). o_O
    Before the new rumble matchmaking were formend a few new high scorer guilds when merging or building them up from 0, hoping for tougher and more challenging rumbles. Now they got them :p every time they push the button to start a new rumble.

Maybe one reason is for getting low on members in those top guilds is that players are worning out already with the every day tough rumbles. In those guilds the most important thing is WE MUST WIN EVERY RUMBLE. With the old +/-25 matching rule those guilds had maybe once or twice a week a tough rumble where they must/where supposed to pull very high points to win it and had many easy rumbles before the next really tough one. Players had time time to chill and charging batteries. But not anymore. Its expected from them to hit high scores now in every rumble 24/7. It is up to the guilds leaders are they want worn out their players with every day tough rumbles or do they just take a day break sometimes... that might be a reason for long matching times as well. There are not that many guilds then available to match with :confused:

And others reasons maybe are...right now....
    For example in Europe/US are school holidays, many are on vacation with their families and drop out for a while ..... or/and in some new guilds also the ”honeymoon” and exitement about a merge is over and players just want something else then only smashing points and have forgotten about what it is to have fun and just play and hang out online with friends :) and leave.

I think the majority of guilds and players are happy and satisfied with the new matchmaking system.It has improved the gameplay in many ways. Guilds really need to pull it off TOGETHER as a TEAM.

The long matchmaking times for some top guilds are unfortunatly :( but hey :) they get also now every time a good match too :rolleyes: and we have no boring rumbles anymore :D for anyone.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  6. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

First time for our small guild, but waiting for a match over 2 hours from the looks of it. Most of ours have been relatively snappy so far.

7. Becker Redbeard

Becker Redbeard First Mate

So, the question is if those players are tiring, will they quit the game?
    Only Midoki has the numbers to show whether this works for them financially in the long run (and not being negative, they've gotta make money to keep the servers running and the employees with spending money for ale;)). But... those of us who've been around for awhile have seen player numbers decline and that can't be good (less money in Midoki coffers also means @Intimidator doesn't get his new event:D).

I'd guess players who gem WITH PAID GEMS are largely 1) New players who to want to catchup, PH rushers, etc. 2) Hard hitting daily rumblers (who gravitate to big guilds in the current system). But even players who DON'T buy gems can benefit the company in rumbles in that the OTHER team might gem to keep up.

But a healthy game needs to satisfy the broadest base. This new system sounds like it satisfies: 1) Some at the top who want hard core everyday 2) Apparently training guilds who've benefited in rewards.
    So the Upper Class (those who aren't drained of constant hard core without breaks) and Lower Class may be satisfied. But for the Middle Class (mid size or small guilds generating mid-size rumble points), the harder we fight, the more impossible our next matchup becomes. Stated in financial terms: There's little motivation for us to buy gems as punishment follows our rewards.
    OK, off to a new rumble!

8. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

Going on a 12-hour wait time for a rumble match now for one of the ArrrBar guilds.....That’s beyond “unfortunate”.
    Hard core rumbles without breaks? Those hard hitting rumblers are getting super long wait breaks....:(:confused:
    (Edit) Now 14 hours....
    (Edit) finally

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Heatmiser4 likes this.
  9. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

Since there is obviously a split between players pirates that want:
    • competitive matches above everything & are completely happy to wait almost indefinitely for them.
    • fast matches above everything at the expense of competitive matches.
    However one area that nobody appears to be discussing (but everyone is just accepting) - Midoki have implemented a ‘lock’ to prevent guilds instantly re-matching.

How about a compromise (that would hopefully satisfy both groups) - a ‘time-lock’ on re-matching?
    • If there are enough competitive alternatives, guilds get to quickly meet different rivals.
    • The matchmaking parameters can still expand/relax - to allow gradually less competitive matches (as now).
    • But if no alternative matches are available, after a set period, re-matching is also allowed.
    That way nobody should have extremely long wait times - but hopefully we also don’t need to completely return to uncompetitive matching. @Lynsey [Midoki] is this technically possible?

10. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

We're going to shorten the time limit on the re-matching block, rather than relaxing the parameters quicker.

Currently the matches are fairly accurate, and the average matching time over the last week is under an hour, so the system is working well for the vast majority of guilds. However, a few of the big hitting guilds are having longer wait times (I think the longest one was 16 hours), so hopefully the tweaks will fix that - it does mean that big hitting guilds are likely to be matching more frequently, but hopefully with shorter matchmaking times.

We're reluctant to loosen the matchmaking too quickly at this point, as we'll be back to where we were with the old system, where guilds end up being horribly mismatched!

peg-brain bob likes this.
  11. Jake the Snake

Jake the Snake Powder Monkey

All of that ☝️☝️☝️☝️ makes my heart smile :)

Heatmiser4 likes this.
  12. NinjaNurse

NinjaNurse Crew

This weekend we got matched against a guild with 7 members compared to our 29. It's no contest.

13. Lynsey [Midoki]

Theoretically the number of members isn't a good indication - you could have a tiny guild filled with PH13s that score 50,000 - 10,000 per player, versus a bigger guild that scores 1,000 - 5,000 per player. It'd be fair, because the average scoring power would be similar. However, if it was a complete wipeout, send a ticket and we'll take a look.

14. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

7 high scoring pirates can easily take down 29 low scorers. No idea what your situation is but it’s all down to average scores.
    Lynsey, how big are the tiers? I suspect at the top of the scoring tiers there are bigger gaps in the average scores as my guild seems to be matching with only a few guilds. In the middle tiers I suspect the tiers have many more guilds to match with.

Oak Island likes this.
  15. captScorpion

captScorpion Powder Monkey

I’m not impressed with the new points system. Haven’t seen anything close to better match ups and now the rewards are pretty dismal.

Becker Redbeard likes this.
  16. captScorpion

captScorpion Powder Monkey

Haven’t seen us have a close matchup yet either. I think we had one that went to the wire other than that it’s been over a 20k split between winner and losers. I have to laugh at the winning team blowing through gems for little reward. Expensive ego boost.

17. NinjaNurse

NinjaNurse Crew

In fairness they took the lead. They have one member who was on a par with our best members and did more work than the rest of their guild together. They actually took the lead because of this and maybe this is why the matchup was made.

But we kicked ass without any problem.

18. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

Yes, @Lynsey [Midoki] can you please comment on this? As @Taipanfan has said, we seem to be matching the same 2-3 guilds every time with a random match thrown in every now and again. How are the various tiers outlined? For example, what type of average score gets you into the top tier, middle tier, or lower tier? How many prior rumble scores are taken into the averages? Maybe the last 5 scores? Last 10? Does it depend on total guild score or individual scores? Any info on how this works would be great, as we would like some additional variability with our matches.

Cheers!

-Oak

Intimidator and 850arrr like this.
  19. Lynsey [Midoki]

There's 56 tiers, so it's a bit more nuanced than top, middle and lower!
    • Gap between tiers is 1000 at the lower end, going up to 10,000 between tiers at the upper end.
    • The guild's scoring power is based on the combined score of the individual members' recent averages - we don't go into too many details about the exact number of scores used, because it would encourage people to game the system
    • The scoring power is based on the members that are in the guild when the Rumble matchmaking starts. If members leave or join during matchmaking, then it recalculates the score and resets the matchmaking.
    We are still looking at tweaking Rumbles to make them a better experience for everybody. In fact, we've created a survey for people to give their feedback! https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/89NPP5Z

20. lady blackbeard

lady blackbeard Captain

Get the feeling that Midoki is trying, which is good. Thank you. We will hang with you as long as you keep trying.

850arrr and Intimidator like this.