Rumble Matchmaking tweak

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Aug 26, 2015.

1. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Due to the continued feedback about the use of 'minis', yesterday we made some changes to the Rumble Matchmaking.

If you're in a guild that has a very narrow distribution of Pirate Hall levels (no greater than three levels) - you will only be matched with guilds within the same distribution range. For example, if you're in a guild that only contains Pirate Hall 9 players, or contains a range of Pirate Halls 7, 8 and 9, then the matchmaking will prioritise Pirate Hall level - you will only be matched with guilds that fall into the same range, e.g.. you won't be matched with any guild that has a Pirate Hall 6 or lower.

This will lead to significantly longer matchmaking times for these guilds, but will ensure that you're not matched against any minis - however, there is still a chance that there may be one or two guilds in the Rumble that are significantly smaller in terms of members, as the guild size parameter will relax if a match hasn't been found after a few hours.

If you're in a guild that has a broader distribution of Pirate Hall levels or that uses minis, you will continue to use the previous matchmaking, where the size of the guild is the primary factor and the Pirate Hall level distribution is the secondary factor. This means that generally you'll be matched against guilds of a similar size and Pirate Hall distribution, but may see a wider range of Pirate Hall levels in your Rumbles.

Once the new scoring system is in, we'll be revisiting the Rumble matchmaking.

2. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

HOURS???

3. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

Well, it works.

We got matched against guilds with only PH9's and PH8's, not one mini in the batch. Search took a whole lot longer (5 hours). Not exactly pleased with the longer wait time, but we'll work with it until the new rumble scoring system is in place. Did get matched against guilds with few players, so that has not changed much.

4. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Yep, each time we narrow the matchmaking parameters to make it more accurate, it increases the length of matchmaking (as its restrictions are tighter). Broader matchmaking leads to quicker matches, more restrictive matchmaking leads to longer ones.

5. rhorun

rhorun Crew

Assuming the matching is server side does this mean we can start the rumble and log off leaving it searching? Would be nice to know that i can hit rumble start at work and get a notification that rumble has started on my phone etc

6. Skye

Skye Commodore

Thank you very much for this change :)
    I personally wouldn't mind waiting a week for a rumble if it meant it was fair, but a couple of hours to have a fair fight is certainly worth it to me. Others may complain about the increased times, but to be done with minis for the time being, its a great sacrifice.

That also explains the longer time it took LS to match. I imagine as more guilds start dropping their minis (especially the reserve minis only meant to equalize other guilds that decide to have them) that matchmaking times will improve. I think its a step in the right direction until you finish your new scoring system and wholeheartedly support you in this.

I hope others can see past the increased time and be happy for it as well. Guild size will be a much harder issue to normalize, but this at least addresses the most serious issue for many of us.

Thank you a million times Lynsey.

dragon's lair and peg-brain bob like this.
  7. Skye

Skye Commodore

You can log off after starting the rumble and it should continue to search for one. I'm not sure if it will notify you when it starts, but you shouldn't have to stay online after beginning the search.

8. rhorun

rhorun Crew

Notification would be useful for multi guilds that don't want to match each other

9. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

An hour (edit: make that two hours) into waiting for a rumble to start.
    The system you had just prior to this sounds like it was better. I think there needs to be a time limit for matchups. My guild members are finding it somewhat of a "waste" to fight when not in a rumble.

Whilst we're waiting, are there any "safeguards" in terms of not being matched with the same opponents in consecutive rumbles?

Our guild is moderately successful but there are a few guilds that we have no hope of ever catching in a rumble. Before, the "strategy" would be to wait 30-60min before starting a new rumble to try avoid them but with this lack of opponents won't everyone keep playing against the same guilds?

No one likes to lose but it's particularly sour to keep losing to the same guild over and over.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  10. Skye

Skye Commodore

@c00ni
    As more and more guilds remove their minis in response to the change, the pool of matchups should grow again and times should get better. Right now, many guilds still have backup minis in case they match another guild with minis. After a couple days, many of these should have removed them, and matchups will happen quicker again. As of right now, I imagine the number of strictly ph7+ guilds with 40-50 members is fairly small, given how many added minis as a backup.

11. Fang

Fang First Mate

This is a great approach for all. Those that truly want to play as "mini" are still free to do so, and those that want higher ph matches can also have a fair rumble.

The increased wait time is worth it, as it will be a better solution in the end.

Rachael, Kelani and peg-brain bob like this.
  12. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

@Lynsey [Midoki] We have mostly PH8-9 with a few PH6s. Are all bets off? Or are we only going to match guilds PH5+?

Glad for the change, though. :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Rachael likes this.
  13. Ian

Ian Commodore

Will be interesting to see which Guilds remove their 'mini's' in order for a fairer and competitive rumble and those that keep them..

Rachael likes this.
  14. Bear

Bear Commodore

Sounds to me like those ph6 drop you into the old matchmaking system

15. Bear

Bear Commodore

I'm thrilled about this! Now all the top guilds who "just have minis to defend themselves" can kick them... Or will they? *gasp* :eek:

The Fish Eyed Pirate likes this.
  16. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Well, if we are left twisting in the wind,one bright spot is that that lets us complain at our beloved PH6s to get busy upgrading :)

Bou Regreg and Bear like this.
  17. Fulcrum

Fulcrum Powder Monkey

Proven, once again, that you can't please everyone all the time. This hasn't even been in effect for 24 hours yet. Be patient and thankful for the developers' desire to make PP better.

We rumble 3 times a week and GangreneBeard seems to always have alarms set to have rumbles begin on time, every time. AG will have to adjust to a new norm of being flexible as to when its time for us to fight.

Thanks Devs!

Sea Patriot, Bear, Ian and 1 other person like this.
  18. Booty isle

Booty isle Captain

This is best new update in last two months. I hope it works. Seems like it is so far. Very excited

dragon's lair likes this.
  19. Tex

Tex Commodore

@Lynsey [Midoki] can Midoki make an announcement about this in the game?

I noticed you guys used that feature to tell players when the boat was returning as it was never communicated well. I'm afraid this change about matchmaking has also not been communicated well. How will players who don't visit the forum know about it? And if they don't know they won't they won't know to drop their mini's. That leaves a pool of players too small to match with, hence the 5 hour wait. It also makes it likely you will be matched with the same guilds again and again.

Travis, Ian, 850arrr and 1 other person like this.
  20. Skye

Skye Commodore

I agree with Tex here, an in game announcement with a link to the forum for more details would probably help an immense amount.

850arrr likes this.