Rumble Matchmaking tweak

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Aug 26, 2015.

1. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

That sucks rhorun. You make the changes, but still don't get the result you wanted. We are almost done changing our team to match the new format. Personally, for us, the only reason minis were used was to bring the one we had in whenever an opponent had minis carrying them. We won't mind getting rid of minis, or upgrading them if it improves gameplay and rumbling for us. Just hope we get the result.

2. Skye

Skye Commodore

We don't have any PH members below 7, yet we were just matched against a guild with a PH3, and another guild that has many members ph6 and below.

Did you change things again?

3. MadBam

MadBam Powder Monkey

Ahoi! New Captain here.

Matchmaking is also making me ill because there could be a simple solution to it: You only have to use the average guild rumble scores, add a tolerance of about ±300 to 500 and as a secondary attribute add in the guild’s rumble highscore for fine-tuning. These are the only numbers that really matter, they indirectly include gem-using, minis, guild members, ranks and pirate hall levels.

It could be so easy — why make it so hard?

4. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

In some ways this is a nice idea but has some drawbacks. Issue really is average may be very different to what a guild is capable of getting or what they commonly get (median may be better but anyway). Some guilds have minis they only used if used against them (so I have heard and so they claim....). Guilds may take their foot off the gas if they are clearly going to win. I think our average is maybe 7 or 8k but has been 10k or 11k without really having the hammer down, similar maybe only 5k if well in the lead or people tired after push etc. The spread would therefore need to be much higher than suggested. Case in point would have been recent rumbles of a couple of other guilds going way past 20k because it was very tight and bragging rights on the line (look elsewhere - not hard to find on this forum). The high score idea mitigates some of these issues though, just question of how it would be implemented. Also for some of the top guilds the pool to choose from would be really rather tiny.

Anyway, think the idea has merit but to be workable probably a lot less simple than you at first imagine.

5. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

Yet another rumble against crap mini using guilds. This time Canada eh and Espana.

It's not hard Midoki. Use your current rules. We'll change and kick our PH6s to another guild (thanks for that), but back you rules up with some grunt.
    1. Ensure a rumble starts on time. Do this by limiting the start times to set times. Every guild apply to rumble at one of the set times. Cut off for the application as long as you want, eg 4 hours before. Midoki stick to your own rules and start the rumble on time. If a match-up can't be made within your rules send the Captain a message stating that and push us to the next set start time where we'll be first cab off the rank for that time.
    2. When you're given clear evidence of mini use in that 7-9 group, delete that profile ASAP, mid rumble would be great, and monitor that guild for further mini use.
    3. Take the guild ship off guilds using mini's for a two month period. If everyone associated with a mini carried that for two months where-ever they went mini's would be gone in no time.
    4. Don't introduce the guild ship until level 6

Use any of these ideas would be good but by all means, stick to your own rules and don't punish us who try to play within them.

Skye and Skillzone10 like this.
  6. rhorun

rhorun Crew

Bug or feature PU MAIN has been waiting to match over 22 hours??

7. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Neither, unfortunately - they're in the queue with another similar guild (narrow band of high level pirate halls, similar guild size), but the rest of the guilds that have been coming up in the queue (and the majority of guilds in general) have a much broader range of PH levels and membership sizes. It's a matter of waiting for other high level guilds to come off their previous Rumbles and starting another. Unfortunately this is a byproduct of the matchmaking being tweaked to prevent guilds from being matched with 'minis' (as previously warned, it can lead to drastically increased waiting times)- we'll be able to relax the matchmaking again once the new Rumble scoring system is in.

Capt Drowns likes this.
  8. Juggernaut

Juggernaut First Mate

We are a group of 6 guilds, our Main took 22hrs to get matched, now the next one is going, at this rate we'll be rumbling once a week, it seems that, since only a handful of guilds r mini free, the only solution is to make everyone add a mini for quicker match ups and end up with the problem we had before, rumbling guilds with minis

9. rhorun

rhorun Crew

We had a short wait to match PU Y but why have we matched a mini guild the lowest in PU Y IS ph7

10. I am liking that we are not being matched with minis anymore, but it would be good to get the wait down. We are going on 3.5 hours currently, I suspect it may be a bit longer... I guess that all of those folks that said they would get rid of their minis when matchmaking was improved weren't exactly honest about that...

11. Christy

Christy Commodore

We are finding our matches pretty fast (we have no minis) downside is we keep getting matched against many of the same guilds over and over and over :( nice that we are winning most but it's getting old seeing all the same guilds in our rumble. And I'm sure they would agree.

Skye likes this.
  12. rhorun

rhorun Crew

We matched 3 guilds all with minis despite our lowest being ph7.. This was after PU main waited over 24 hours to match clearly something has gone wrong on both counts @Lynsey [Midoki] or @Chris [Midoki]

13. Lynsey [Midoki]

Hmm, our database shows that Pirates United were matched with all guilds PH7+?

EDIT: Just spotted your post about it being Pirates United Y being matched - this may be as a result of the matchmaking being tweaked again to stop the time from being too long, I'll check.

14. Cocobean

Cocobean First Mate

At Black Flag our last two rumbles have been with mini's even though our lowest ph is a 7.

Skye likes this.
  15. rhorun

rhorun Crew

And again PU Y matched minis I hope the new rumbling points system resolves this and is out soon

16. Craggy 8

Craggy 8 Powder Monkey

Really please to read this - my guild is about an hour away from getting beat due to minis - despite a record bp haul for us - I have shipmates really pissed off and threatening to leave the game.

Please feel free to drop by Scottish Seadogs (if you work for Midoki) - i would love you to field some of the questions I have been.

Cheers

Seadogs

17. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

If you are in a guild with everyone PH7 and above, and you get matched to a guild with minis, I'd write Midoki immediately. There is something suspect as it should not be happening. We waited 10 hours the other day to find a match, but no minis were anywhere to be found in competing guilds.

Skye likes this.
  18. Skye

Skye Commodore

We've been waiting about a day for our matchup now (I personally don't mind but it is surprising that there haven't been 4 more guilds without minis in that time)

Are you still relaxing guild size parameters after an hour?

19. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

That is weird Skye, as BS started their rumble search after you and got a match in 25 minutes. BS is all PH7 and above, but we got matched against minis. Not sure if the matching didn't work, or the other guild brought in minis after the rumble started. We wrote Midoki asking them to investigate, hopefully @Lynsey [Midoki] will let us know what happened. Up until this last rumble, the matching was working perfectly.

20. Lynsey [Midoki]

We're looking into this at the moment - if you're in a narrow band guild (with no more than a two level difference between all members), you should never be matched with a guild that falls outside of those parameters (but you may eventually be matched with tiny guilds with members that fall into the same level category. There are currently a few cases where this isn't happening, however, which we're looking into.